Imari (イマリ) and Shigaraki (シガラキ) are a pair of Yamagami (山神 lit. "Mountain Gods") or GohōSanjin (護法山神 lit. "Gods who defend Buddhist doctrines: Mountain Gods") to serve as Asakura Family.
Imari and Shigaraki are both high-level Seirei Class animal spirits of the mountains, and the guardian ghosts of Asakura Mikihisa.
Imari and Shigaraki have been associating with Asakura Family for generations.
Imari is a fox spirit that became a mountain goddess in the Chūgoku era when she became older than 1,000. She was originally an evil nature spirit, but the Asakura family defeated her and turned her into a helpful guardian ghost. She appears very intelligent and can change her form at will, but she is also a very skillful and powerful fighter. She is very feminine and noble, and her specialty is becoming a human female. Although Imari is referred to as a female, it is only because she looks like a female ghost but nobody is really sure of it. She acquired her name over 300 years ago by an Asakura who liked the tea ceremony. It appears that her white and smooth fur reminded him of his Imari ware teacups.
Just like Imari, this raccoon dog is a nature spirit that became a mountain god when he got older than 1,000. His specialty is changing his form as well, but Imari is the better one. He used to live in an abandoned Buddhist temple until a yamabushi from Asakura Family found him and convinced him to leave that place. From then on he became the yamabushi's guardian ghost. The same man who named Imari, named him after the Shigaraki ware because his fur color had the same deep red color.
Oversouls and Attacks
- Shaman: Asakura Mikihisa, Asakura Yoh
- O.S. Type: Spirit Type
- Spirit Ally: Imari & Shigaraki
- Medium used: Stones
Description: By integrating both Imari and Shigaraki into individual small stones, this Over Soul manifests extremely large versions of Imari and Shigaraki, that stand much taller than Mikihisa himself. In this form, they can both make use of their sharp claws and large teeth to attack an opponent; however, Mikihisa rarely makes use of this in battles. Instead, he seems to prefer to use Imari's and Shigaraki's shapeshifting abilities to produce two exact replicas of himself. When this is combined with the Shamanic Oracle ability, it also makes Mikihisa almost untouchable when fighting. However, this ability has a small weakness in the fact that the Over Souls cannot produce a shadow, meaning an opponent could easily make use of this to deduce who is the real Mikihisa. Due to the spirits' large forms, Mikihisa can also make use of them as a form of transport if the situation ever arises.
O.S. "Kahen Tengu Dai-Garasu"
O.S. Kahen Tengu Dai-Garasu" (可変天狗 ダイガラス, Transforming Tengu: Giant Raven)
- Shaman: Tamamura Tamao
- O.S. Type: Weapon/Vehicle Type
- Spirit Ally: Imari and Shigaraki, Dai Tengu
- Medium used: Harusame
Description: Tamao's new "Transforming O.S." (可変式 O.S.) achieved by three guardian ghosts and Harusame. Tamao used some of Asakura Yohkyo's robot figures to enhance her inspiration and images. She can alter the shapes and functions of the O.S. into several different modes including giant robot-like one to a jet-fighter-like one.
- It would seem that Imari and Shigaraki are what Ponchi and Conchi would be like if they would give up their large ego. Although neither Imari nor Shigaraki would ever admit it, they hate such a comparison, in every sense of the word. They believe that because they are high-class spirits they cannot be compared to the likes of Ponchi and Conchi.
- Dai-Garasu's etymology and appearance of the jetfighter mode are references to "Legend Silver Hawk Burst" from DARIUS series.
- Shaman King Manga - The Super Star Chapter 32
- Shaman King Manga - Kang Zeng Bang Volume 14 Extras
- Kitsune - A Wikipedia article about kitsunes, on which Imari is based
- Tanuki - A Wikipedia article about tanukis, on which Shigaraki is based