The Spirit of Earth is one of five powerful elemental spirits known as the Grand Elemental Spirits of the Patch Tribe. They are derived from the Great Spirit itself, and like it, constitute a collective of souls. Their power is unmatched by any other spirit, except for the Great Spirit itself.
The Spirit of Earth has a cockpit on its back, which can be shifted to the top of its head, allowing a person to ride within it. According to Pascal Avaf, the Spirit of Earth gives life to plants and creates metal.
After Patch Hao stole the Spirit of Fire, it was hidden by the Patch Tribe to avoid any other of the Grand Elemental Spirits to be stolen, within the depths of hell and guarded by Enma Daioh, the greatest of the Four Kings of Hell. Before the finals of the Shaman Fights Sati Saigan and the Gandhara went to Hell to get the Five Elemental Spirits and deliver them to the Five Elemental Warriors. The Spirit of Earth was given to Yoh and was used to fight against Asakura Hao in the Great Spirit. After the final fight, Yoh kept it.
Oversouls and Attacks
O.S. Spirit of Earth
O.S. Spirit of Earth (O.S. スピリット・オブ・アース)
- Shaman: Asakura Yoh
- O.S. Type: Spirit Type
- Spirit Ally: Spirit of Earth (Kami Class Spirit)
- Medium: Earth
Description: When Over Souled by Asakura Yoh it gains its entire body. Its movements seem to follow that of Yoh himself. The Spirit of Earth can also manipulate gravity, enough to counter the gravity of a black hole and allow those who are affected by the Spirit of Earth's gravity to move freely.
- Attraction (
引力Atorakushon): This attack relies upon the principle of using the significant gravitational forces generated by the real Earth's large mass, altering the trajectory of incoming attacks to avoid damage. As such, the technique acts as an effective defensive move, even protecting from the large number of meteors that the O.S. Great Spirit can produce.
The Spirit of Earth does not appear in the anime, as Spirit of Fire appears to be a single, powerful entity under the Patch's control rather than a member of this group, though it was mentioned that there were four other spirits worshiped by the Patch other than the Spirit of Fire.
- When its Spirit Ball Mode first appeared, its only distinctive feature was the pattern on its head. This was later changed on the cover of Shaman King: The Super Star Volume 1 cover, where its shoulder armor was added.
- According to the Kang Zeng Bang Extras, the Spirit of Earth has the same abilities as the Spirit of Fire to become stronger by consuming souls.
- In the comic, Japanese name of Spirit of Earth (スピリット・オブ・アース) can be seen on the spirit's back in some scenes.
- In the first chapter of Shaman King The Super Star, a presumed clone of Spirit of Earth was depicted to be yellowish in coloration and has slightly different look.
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 299
- Shaman King Manga - The Super Star Chapter 1
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 258
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 298
- Shaman King Anime - Episode 59
- Shaman King Manga - Kang Zeng Bang Volume 8 Extras; Shaman File 100
- Earth - A Wikipedia article about Spirit of Earth's Element