The Spirit of Fire (スピリット・オブ・ファイア Supiritto obu Faia) is one of the Five Grand Elemental Spirits, which are said to be created by the Great Spirit itself. It is primarily associated with Asakura Hao. It was originally owned by Hao for a large majority of the series until he became the Shaman King. Its current Shaman is now Lyserg Diethel.
About[edit | edit source]
The Spirit of Fire is one of five powerful elemental spirits known as the Grand Elemental Spirits. They are derived from the Great Spirit itself, and like it, constitute a collective of souls. Their power is unmatched by any other spirit, except for the Great Spirit itself.
In its adult and most powerful form, the Spirit of Fire is gigantic, with a muscular body, broad shoulders, black claws, and black lava rock armor down its legs. Because of its internal structure, the Spirit of Fire has the ability to consume other souls and spirits in order to further enhance its own power. It also has the ability to transform itself into the different five elements through the doctrine of the five phases, fire, water, wood, metal, and earth, which is made possible through Asakura Hao's mastery of the elements.
500 years before the start of the series, Hao was reincarnated as a member of the Patch Tribe, the organizers of the Shaman Fight. Although he would fail to become the Shaman King, he succeeded in stealing the Spirit of Fire, using it as his guardian ghost when he once again reincarnated 500 years later.
Its power was greatly diminished because of its journey back from Hell, when it reincarnated together with Hao, turning it into its basic form, forcing it to regain its strength by consuming other souls.
Hao eventually discarded the Spirit of Fire after the other competitors forfeit the Shaman Fight, making Hao the Shaman King and the inheritor of the Great Spirit. The Spirit of Fire then became the guardian ghost of Lyserg Diethel, its destined Elemental Warrior. It was transported to Lyserg and the others by Redseb Munzer, who had been killed by Hao along with Seyram Munzer. It was later seen being kept inside a Corn Silo, being overlooked by Kalim of the Ten Patch Officiants. During the final battle, it somehow made its way inside the Great Spirit together with Lyserg. After the Shaman Fights was over, Lyserg kept, the Spirit of Fire.
Oversouls and Attacks[edit | edit source]
O.S. "Spirit of Fire"[edit | edit source]
O.S. "Spirit of Fire" (O.S.スピリット・オブ・ファイア)
- Shaman: Asakura Hao; Lyserg Diethel
- O.S. Type: Spirit Type
- Spirit Ally: Spirit of Fire
- Medium used: Oxygen in the air
Description: This is Hao's primary Over Soul. He manifests the Spirit of Fire onto the physical plane by integrating it with the oxygen in the atmosphere. As its primary medium for its Over Soul is oxygen, Hao is able to manifest the Spirit of Fire with incredible speed. Using his onmyōdō magic, Hao can alter the nature of the Spirit of Fire into any of the five elements. In its other forms, it can control the forces of nature and throw elemental attacks that cause incredible damage.
- Magma Upper (マグマアッパー, Maguma Appā): An attack where the Spirit of Fire stretches its arm forwards and showers the opponent in Magma, with a temperature exceeding 1200°C.
- Volcano (火山（ボルケーノ）, Borukēno): Lyserg launches a large amount of fire into the air as a defensive move.
O.S. "Spirit of Fire: Black Fowl"[edit | edit source]
O.S. "Spirit of Fire: Kurobina" (O.S.スピリット・オブ・ファイア 黒雛)
- Shaman: Asakura Hao
- O.S. Type: Armor Type
- Spirit Ally: The Spirit of Fire
- Medium used: Oxygen in the air
Description: This is Hao's armor-type Over Soul, which transforms the Spirit of Fire into jet armor. With it, Hao is capable of high-speed flight and can attack swiftly with the Over Soul's arms. Mounted on the back are two energy cannons, which can incinerate anything they target within seconds. As with most armor-type Over Souls, this form requires little of Hao's Furyoku, but consumes a considerable amount of the Spirit of Fire's Reiryoku. However, it offers capabilities that far surpass that of O.S. Spirit of Fire.
- Onibi (鬼火, Onibi): An attack that blasts the opponent with the two cannons on Hao's back. This attack is strong enough to destroy the archangel Azazel, an angel whose Reiryoku level was higher than that of the Spirit of Fire.
Anime/Manga Difference[edit | edit source]
The spirit of Fire's design in the anime series is slightly different, having shorter claws, being slightly bulkier, and generally being all red, excluding its green eyes and white markings.
In the anime series, Hao would ultimately deem the Shaman Fight would be a pointless tournament and would move to acquire the Great Spirit by a greater force. After fighting through various obstacles, the Spirit of Fire would seemingly consume some of the Great Spirit itself, being reborn in a golden color. Ten times its previous size. with their newfound power, Hao and the Spirit of Fire defeated any and all challengers except for Asakura Yoh, who would defeat the duo with the combined might of every shaman, friend, and ally from the present and past.
Also during his short fight with Yoh, Hao displayed the ability to reform the Spirit of Fire into a sword similar to Yoh's Spirit of Sword.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Spirit of Fire has a vague resemblance to an airplane.
- According to the Kang Zeng Bang, the Spirit of Fire is the prototype of all fire deities in the Shaman King universe, such as Kagu-tsuchi, Agni, Prometheus, and Hephaestus.
References[edit | edit source]
- Shaman King Manga - Kang Zeng Bang Volume 8 Extras; Shaman File 100
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 140
- Shaman King Manga - Kang Zeng Bang Volume 13 Extras; Shaman File 174
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 283
- Shaman King Manga - Marcos Chapter 04
- Shaman King Manga - Kang Zeng Bang Volume 13 Extras; Shaman File 173
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 298; Page 22-23
- The kanji "黒雛" translates to "Kurobina" meaning "Black Fowl".
- Shaman King Manga - Chapter 262; Page 17
- Shaman King Manga - Kang Zeng Bang Volume 8 Extras; Shaman File 092
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Fire - A Wikipedia article about Spirit of Fire's Element
- Pyrokinesis - A Wikipedia Article about Pyrokinesis